Information Provided on 1790 Census:
- First U.S. decennial population census.
- U.S. population: 3.9 million (3.2 million free, .7 million slave)
- Census conducted by U.S. marshals under the direction of the president.
- Census day: 1st Monday in August (2 August 1790).
- Mandated copies: One set, sent to the federal district court. Same copy ordered sent to the U.S. Secretary of State in 1830.
- A printed list of the 1790 census is available on microfilm as National Archives' publication: Series: T498 Rolls: 1,2, and 3.
- Name of family head, free white males of 16 years and up
- free white males, under 16
- free white females; slaves
- other persons.
Volunteer to Transcribe | Transcriber's Info | State Census Index | Site Map
Online Census Inventory | The USGenWeb Census Project | Mortality
narrow your search results put Last Name first inside quotation marks.
EXAMPLE "Smith, John"
© The USGenWeb Census Project ®