Information Provided on 1840 Census:
- Sixth U.S. decennial population census.
- U.S. population: 17.1 million (14.6 million free, 2.5 million slave)
- Census conducted by U.S. marshals under the direction of the Secretary of State.
- Census day: 1 June 1840.
- Mandated copies: Two sets, one sent to the federal district court,
the other to the Secretary of State.
- Name of family head
- number of deaf and dumb
- number of blind
- number of insane and idiotic and whether in public or private charge
- number of persons in each family employed in each of six classes of industry and one of occupation
- pensioners for Revolutionary or military service.
Volunteer to Transcribe | Transcriber's Info | State Census Index | Site Map
Online Census Inventory | The USGenWeb Census Project | Mortality
narrow your search results put Last Name first inside quotation marks.
EXAMPLE "Smith, John"
© The USGenWeb Census Project ®