Information Provided on 1850 Census:
- Seventh U.S. decennial population census.
- U.S. population: 23.2 million (20.0 million free, 3.2 million slave)
- Census conducted by U.S. marshals under the direction of the Census Office appointed by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior.
- Census day: 1 June 1850.
- Mandated copies: Three sets, one to the county court, a second to the secretary of the state (or the territory) and the last to the U.S. Secretary of the Interior.
- whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic
- value of real estate
- whether married within the year
- school attendance
- whether a pauper or convict.
- Supplemental schedules for slaves, and persons
who died during the year
Volunteer to Transcribe | Transcriber's Info | State Census Index | Site Map
Online Census Inventory | The USGenWeb Census Project | Mortality
narrow your search results put Last Name first inside quotation marks.
EXAMPLE "Smith, John"
© The USGenWeb Census Project ®