The USGenWeb Census Project
Intro to Federal Census Research
1870 Census Facts
Series: M593 Rolls: 1 - 1748.
Most of the state of Minnesota is
Series: T132 Rolls: 1 - 13.
Information Provided on 1870 Census:
- Ninth U.S. decennial population census.
- U.S. population: 38.6 million
- Census conducted by U.S. marshals under the direction of the Census Office appointed by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior.
- Census day: 1 June 1870.
- Mandated copies: Three sets, one to the county court, a second to the secretary of the state (or the territory) and the last to the U.S. Secretary of the Interior.
- value of real estate
- value of personal estate
- whether parents were foreign born
- month of birth if born within the year
- month of marriage if married within the year
- school attendance
- literacy; whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic
- male citizens 21 and over, and number of such persons denied the right to vote for
other than rebellion.
- Supplemental schedules for persons who died during the year.
Volunteer to Transcribe | Transcriber's Info | State Census Index | Site Map
Online Census Inventory | The USGenWeb Census Project | Mortality
narrow your search results put Last Name first inside quotation marks.
EXAMPLE "Smith, John"
© The USGenWeb Census Project ®